Skip to content

Photographica & Cameras Auction


  • -
  • Newbury, UK

Please view online catalogue below.

Please book an appointment to view the sale by calling
01635 580595

Viewing from 27/09/23 to 09/10/23
10:00 am - 4:00 pm Monday to Friday

Please scroll down to view (Lot 41 Description) The Noakes 'Quad' Magic Lantern or Noakesoscope and Family & Technical Forewords 


Order of Auction

DAY ONE: Auction Start - 10th October 2023 @ 10:00 am BST

Lots 001 to 040 - Magic Lanterns and Slides

Lot 041 - Noakes Quad Lantern

Lots 042 to 078 - Magic Lantern Slides

Lots 079 to 119 - Pictures

Lots 120 to 147 - Scientific Instruments

Lots 148 to 391 - Roy Staley Canon Rangefinder Collection

End of Day One


DAY TWO: Auction Start - 11th October 2023 @ 10:00 am BST

Lots 392 to 418 - Cameras

Lots 419 to 464 - 35mm Cameras

Lots 465 to 518 - Nikon

Lots 519 to 547 - Canon Lenses 

Lots 548 to 578 - Lenses

Lots 579 to 605 - Medium Format

Lots 606 to 624 - Accessories

Lots 625 to 647 - Binoculars

Lots 648 to 661 - Cine

Lots 662 to 700 - Leica

End of Day Two


If you wish to consign any of your items in our forthcoming auctions, please contact us.

Please call 01635 580 595 or email to make an appointment

You can register to bid via our website If you are a successful bidder you will be emailed an invoice. Upon receipt of payment via bank transfer, your items can be made ready for collection by appointment only

Price Realised

Roy Staley’s Canon Rangefinder collection
Roy Staley’s Canon Rangefinder collection

We are pleased to present Roy Staley’s Canon Rangefinder collection in this October’s Photographica Sale.

“Roy searched far and wide in order to build up his store of photographic equipment, concentrating on Canon and Leica. 
His knowledge of photography was incredible and he became an expert on Canon cameras and their accessories. Collecting was Roy's life-long passion.”

Over 200 lots of Cameras, lenses and accessories. With models ranging from the IIS through to the 7s. Along with a wide variety of Canon rangefinder lenses.
With our usual mixture of fine and collectable cameras and equipment.


The ‘Noakes Quad’ or ‘Noakescope Magic’ Lantern and Associated Slide Collection
The ‘Noakes Quad’ or ‘Noakescope Magic’ Lantern and Associated Slide Collection

(Lot 41 Description) The Noakes 'Quad' Magic Lantern or Noakesoscope

The Noakes 'Quad' Magic Lantern or Noakesoscope (Special Auction Services wishes to extend its gratitude to Dr Richard Crangle for the following lot description and analysis), description - the lantern body of single, unitary mahogany and lacquered brass construction (not triunial with a demountable ‘single’ or two stacked biunials), but stands no taller than the average triunial: 35 inches including the baseplate, plus 2 inches for the detachable domed top and maybe another 6 inches for the absent chimney cowl; the body is 10 inches long and 9¼ inches wide, attached to its baseplate (23 by 11 inches) by two hinges along its back edge – this allows it to be tilted to elevate the lenses by around 10 degrees, secured by rotary clamps at the front corners ;there are no lifting handles; all references to ‘right’ and ‘left’ here refer to the sides of the lantern when looking ‘forward’ towards its lenses; there are four hinged access doors (6½ by 5¾ inches) on the right side, aligned with the illuminant chambers inside, and four dummy doors (moulded wooden panels screwed onto the body, complete with fake catches and inspection windows) in matching positions on the left side; the interior of the body is lined with tinned iron sheet spaced from the wood; the original chimney cowl is missing (and also not visible in a 1940s photograph); the chimney hole in the lantern top has been blanked off with a metal sheet to prevent light escaping upwards; from the ‘workshop’ photo the chimney cowl appears to have been a standard Noakes pattern; there are three sets of objective lenses (6, 8 and 10 inch focal length) and a set of lens extension tubes - these allow configurations for projection in spaces ranging from a small parlour (Gordon Noakes used the lantern in his home) up to the Albert Hall (around 130 feet [40m] ‘throw’, giving an image width of 40 feet [12m]); there are also, unusually, five extra sets of condenser lenses of varying convexity and focal length, which could be swapped in and out of the cylindrical condenser mounts within the lantern body to give further variations; in other words this was the travelling set-up of a highly professional, indeed perfectionist, lanternist who knew exactly how to achieve the best effect in different situations; it was originally illuminated by limelight: screw holes in the back of the lantern correspond to the mountings of a dissolving gas tap and pipe fastenings, as seen in the ‘workshop’ photograph; however there are references in accompanying press cuttings to electric arc illumination, so it was modified at some stage (perhaps by Gordon Noakes); the current lamp fittings, which are fed by post-1970s cables arranged neatly on the back of the lantern, are bayonet mountings for large 500-watt projector bulbs, which are mounted on horizontal bars with thumbscrews for lateral adjustment relative to the lantern body, which probably relate to the electric arcs rather than being original (they are not visible in the ‘workshop’ photograph); dimensions of lantern - 920mm high, 690mm deep, 280mm, dimensions of iron-bound wooden lantern-carrying chest - 970mm high, 640mm wide, 330mm deep, dimensions of iron-bound wooden slide chest- 840mm high, 660mm wide, 350mm deep. Analysis - the 'Noakes Quad' was a ‘workhorse’ rather than a ‘show pony’ – compared to some triunials there is no ostentatious decoration, beyond the typical wooden beading, shaped chimney and brass fittings contrasting with the mahogany body; this may reflect its being built for Noakes’s own use, rather than in the hope of attracting commercial orders; it shows signs of considerable use: some of the metal surfaces are rubbed and worn, and there is localised charring to the wooden body; rather surprisingly, the four lenses are not aligned along the vertical centre-line of the lantern body, being one inch closer to the right side than to the left: there is no obvious practical explanation for this; the same arrangement is replicated inside the body, where the metal lining includes an additional spacing chamber at the left side, running through all four compartments; both sides carry engraved brass plates reading ‘NOAKES’ PATENT'; however, no patent for a four-lens lantern is known, and it is unlikely that such an ‘invention’ would have been patentable anyway, being just an extension of the principles well-known in the ‘prior art’ of biunial and triunial lanterns.; if the four-lens configuration had been patented, we might expect it to have been made commercially: patents require the invention to find commercial success to recoup the initial and ongoing fees; the ‘Noakes Patent’ designation must refer to one or more detailed design refinements, probably the same ones claimed by similar plates on Noakes’s triunials; the right side also has a brass maker’s plate at the top, reading: 'D.W. NOAKES, “PLEYDELL”, HUMBER ROAD, WESTCOMBE PARK S.E.'; that is the address recorded for Noakes in the 1901 Census, and is probably the house at Westcombe Park mentioned as “lately purchased” in an 1897 OMLJ interview, where he lived until around 1924; the plate could, of course, have been added later, though it is overlaid by other fittings and looks original; if it was attached during construction, the lantern can have been made no earlier than 1896; there is other circumstantial evidence on dating: Noakes published a small booklet listing lectures he offered, giving the same Humber Road address and including the remark that “I have constructed a Quadruple projection apparatus (the only one existing)"; the booklet quotes glowing press reviews, including one praising a “very fine lantern, which was manipulated with practised skill” – however the original 1893 newspaper source used the wording “very fine patent triple lantern;” in other words the Quad was not in use in 1893, yet it definitely was in use by 1901, when (the earliest press reference found so far) a lecture by Pastor Charles Spurgeon was supported by “Mr D.W. Noakes with his Quadruple Dioramic Lantern". Magic Lantern Slides - the 'Noakes Quad' magic lantern to be offered with large collection of mahogany-mounted 3¼sq. in. magic lantern slides, mainly photographic and coloured photographic, being the working collection of David Noakes as a professional lanternist, including slides from 11 out of the 12 readings in Noakes' printed 'Syllabus of Dioramic Lectures', probably printed circa 1901 (treating No. 12 and No. 13 'England Bisected by a Steam Launch' as one set, missing only No. 3 'A Visit to Cloudland'), three period copies of the Syllabus included in lot, some sets in the Syllabus including effects, with occasional rackwork slides, contents of each set not checked for completeness, some slides for use in more than one set - sets detailed as : No. 1 'The Victorian Era' (122), No. 2 'Picturesque Devon' (50), No. 4 'Rambles in Normandy and Brittany' (78), No. 5 'Antwerp, Brussels and Waterloo' (54), No. 6 'River Rambles or The Strange Adventures of a Steam House Boat' (69), No. 7 'The Channel Islands through my Camera' (99), No. 8 'Manxland & its Beauties' (70), No. 9 'Tamesis', including 'RW', probably Raising Wrecks (104), No. 10 'The Greatest Cities of the World' (95), No. 11 'Ancient and Modern Methods of Travelling' (82), No. 12 'England Bisected by a Steam Launch Part 1 The Outward Journey and Part II The Homeward Journey', journey undertaken in his steam launch 'Lizzie', commencing August 1890, see journal in this lot (219), with named sets not listed, including Paris Exhibition (74), 'Tour Through Cornwall' (30), 'Bill Adams The Hero of Waterloo', duplicate title (14), York & Son 'Gabriel Grub' (16), Carpenter & Westley 'Scrooge' (14), 'The Great European War' (30), chromatrope set, in original box, with a quantity of apx 280 static slides, slide changers, effects, chromatropes, rackwork and slipping slides, some with manuscript titles (apx 1,500 slides in total), with 3¼in sq photographic negative title slides, as made and used by David and Gordon Noakes (26), quarter-plate glass negatives - 'Noakes Quad' in workshop, a Noakes Triunial magic lantern on display at an exhibition in Lewes, circa 1890, horse tramcars in Greenwich, all probably by or commissioned by David Noakes, with wooden box of quarter-plate glass negatives and copy-negatives, the manuscript 'Log of the "Lizzie"', 1890, Noakes' steam launch, with newspaper cutting referring to photographs taken on the trip, and resulting magic lantern lecture, with two Russian iron and brass magic lanterns, a.f., various parts, lenses and elements, electric lamp bulbs, brass camera lenses including Dallmeyer 3D, serial no. 27052, 1878, elements a.f, Taylor, Taylor & Hobson whole plate, and various notes of history, family history and provenance, literature, cuttings and pamphlets from the Noakes and Harold era of ownership of the collection (a lot) Please refer to Camera Department concerning condition of the 'Noakes Quad' magic lantern


Lots 41 to 78
Family Foreword
Yvonne Mashen and Lisa Harold, daughters of John Harold

The Noakes and Harold family friendship goes back many, many years as our Grandad (Alfred Harold, born 1902) helped David Noakes as a young boy and our Dad (John Harold) always referred to Mr Noakes as Uncle.  Our Nan Eliza Harold and Florence Noakes were great friends (we have photos of Dad as a baby in 1937 with Nan and the Noakes family).  Dad grew up with Gordon Noakes.  Nan and Grandad originally lived in Lewisham and Forest Hill, London before moving to Manston in Kent so we assume the association pre-dates dad's birth by quite some while and they visited the Noakes family regularly at Southend-on-Sea.  There is evidence they were related as Dad made an enquiry regarding his Great Uncle to Camberwell New Cemetery.  


Gordon and Florence Noakes in the centre of the photo. The baby being held by Florence Noakes is John Harold (Dad). Behind Florence is Eliza Harold (Nan) and just in front her is Gwen (Auntie).  

On Mr Noakes' death this collection of the lantern and large quantity of slides was left to my grandad Alfred Harold and on his passing to our Dad John Harold. Photographic evidence of Grandad and Dad operating the lantern at Hammersmith in 1961 appeared in the New Magic Lantern Journal (Autumn 2005) which is included in the first auction lot.

Dad started work at Kodak in the Lecture Service Department/Outside Show Presentation Service at Kingsway in London in 1962 as a Projectionist/Sound Recordist and went out doing shows here there and everywhere (including being called back from his honeymoon which didn't go down well!). During this time, he did also show the magic lantern to various associations and always lived in hope of doing more.


Technical Foreword
Dr Richard Crangle, author on magic lantern matters, Secretary and Treasurer of the Magic Lantern Society and developer of the Lucerna Magic Lantern Web Resource

At the first Magic Lantern Society Convention I attended in the early 1990s, I found myself admiring a fine triunial lantern, which looked to me like the absolute pinnacle of what could be achieved with brass, mahogany and multiple lenses. However older and wiser members set me straight, telling fantastic tales of another lantern which surpassed this, a grand machine with no fewer than four lenses. It was called ‘the Noakesoscope’ or ‘Noakes Quad’, after its maker David William Noakes (1859-1934), purveyor of lanterns and slides and giver of shows at high-class locations like the Royal Albert Hall and the Crystal Palace.

Unfortunately – rather like the unicorn, whose magical status this rare beast seemed to share – that glorious lantern had now vanished into the mists of time. Nobody knew where it was, and in the absence of any tangible evidence that it still existed, to a newcomer like me it began to seem like something that had been dreamed after too much toasted cheese and dissolving views.

Nonetheless there was a lot of interest among MLS members, and some older ones even claimed to have seen the device in action. Over the years many individuals followed up various lines of research, and in time I did a bit of digging myself. Several articles appeared in the Society’s Journal, and evidence began to emerge of the beast’s public appearances: at the National Film Theatre and Lyric Theatre Hammersmith in 1961; in a National Portrait Gallery exhibition in 1974; but then nothing further. My research in 2018 had led me to two conclusions: the lantern and its slides definitely still existed in 1994, in the care of someone who knew and understood them; and they probably still did exist.

It therefore came as a wonderful surprise – and then again, perhaps it wasn’t so surprising at all – when news began to circulate on the MLS grapevine that ‘an interesting magic lantern’ (Hugo Marsh’s wonderfully downplayed description) was coming to sale at Special Auction Services (SAS) in Newbury. That news subsequently turned into a fascinating day inspecting, photographing, puzzling over design features, and sorting some of the slides.

The lantern itself is in its original wooden carrying case, with additional boxes for lenses, illuminants and slides. For transport and storage, the enormous brass lens tubes are removed and carried separately; even so the lantern in its case is too large for a single person to move any distance.

Two groups of slides accompany the lantern. The first group comprises around 1500 wood-framed slides, in sets corresponding to the lectures Noakes gave in the 1890s: England Bisected by Steam Launch; The Victorian Era; Tamesis; Rambles in Normandy and Brittany and others. There are some dissolve sequences, including The Lodge and Channel Packet Leaving Dover that were mentioned in 1950s accounts by the poet John Betjeman and others. Apart from a few mechanical and other effect slides, these are all 3¼ inch square glass slides mounted in 7 x 4-inch wooden frames. They are now stored in large cardboard boxes, with a few in the (probably original) wooden carrying boxes seen in photos of the lantern in use in 1961. These were D.W. Noakes’s own lecturing slides – many are his own hand-coloured photographs, but augmented by commercial slides from other well-known makers.

The second group comprises approximately 5,000 3¼ inch slides, mainly photographic ‘views’ but including some transfer slides (Primus, Theobald etc.) of fairy tales and other entertainment subjects. These are housed in the typical long wooden storage boxes with hinged lids, with between 50 and 100 slides per box arranged in subjects and sets. These could have been collected by a later owner, but the subjects and way they are organised suggest the hire stock of a commercial supplier, quite possibly at least a remnant of the Noakes hire stock.

Just as exciting for a researcher are a number of photographs, negatives and papers. Some of these are very revealing: a view of Noakes’s workshop, including the quadruple lantern proudly on display, is packed with detail, and another of a Noakes display at a photographic exhibition shows a triunial among other lanterns and photographic items. There are also programmes for ‘Noakesoscope’ showings from the 1960s-80s, press cuttings relating to the Noakeses and the quadruple lantern, and odd papers covering things like D.W. Noakes’s year (1921-22) as President of the British Hay Traders’ Association.


Noakes workshop, with Quadruple lantern as built. The figure at the right may be D.W. Noakes himself (the emulsion on the negative is distorted), and the device on the bench top at left may be a film projector, suggesting a date after 1896 (digital positive from glass negative).


The slightly awkward name ‘Noakesoscope’ was apparently coined by John Betjeman on seeing the lantern in 1956. D.W. Noakes himself called it ‘a Quadruple projection apparatus,’ and within the Noakes and Harold families it seems to have been known as the ‘quadruple projector’ or ‘quad lantern’. It might be more accurate to refer to it as the ‘Noakes Quadruple’ or ‘Noakes Quad’ from here on.

I suggest that the lantern was built in or soon after 1897, for D.W. Noakes’s own use in his lecturing engagements. That date, paradoxically, coincided with his retirement as an optical manufacturer: an 1897 trade press account says that was because he took on more work for the family’s hay merchant business after his father’s retirement. In 1897 Noakes was planning to set up a “miniature workshop” at his new home, “so that when any idea pertaining to lanterns occurs to him he will be able to practically carry it out in a manner worthy of a lantern enthusiast.” It’s tempting to see the Quad lantern as just such a personal project, perhaps realising a long-nurtured dream.

Noakes’s son Gordon joined his father in his lecturing activities, eventually succeeding him in his role as ‘official lanternist’ at the Royal Albert Hall and taking over ownership of the Quad. David died in 1934 and both he and his wife Elizabeth are interred in Nunhead Cemetery. Gordon continued as a lanternist as a sideline to his main business as a ‘general and electrical engineer’ with a shop in London Street, Greenwich, apparently until the late 1940s or early 1950s. He retired to Southend-on-Sea, Essex, and continued to use the Quad for small domestic shows to visitors, including the 1956 visit from Betjeman.

Between 1956 and Gordon’s death in 1958 the Quad was given to Alfred Harold, a long-time friend of the Noakes family who also (according to David Francis) acted as Gordon’s projection assistant at the Albert Hall. The Harolds and Noakeses were close friends over many years, living at the same address in south-east London in the mid-1930s. Alfred’s son John (born 1936) stayed with the Noakeses in Southend as a child and later referred to Gordon’s wife Florence as ‘Auntie Noakes.’

Alfred Harold used the Quad (by then described as the ‘Noakesoscope’ in publicity) to give the public shows of 1961, assisted by John, and allowed its exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in 1974. On or before Alfred’s death in 1981 the Quad passed to John, who worked as a projectionist and sound recordist for Kodak for many years. He continued to use the lantern and slides occasionally for ‘Victorian evenings’ and other charity shows in the counties around his home in Chesham, well into the 1980s. He also began to research the history of the lantern and the Noakes family.


John Harold using the Noakes Quad lantern at a performance in the 1980s (Harold family colection)


The lantern was put into storage in the mid-1990s, when John retired and the family moved to Cornwall: the lamps and lenses were removed and boxed, and the lamp chambers were packed with newspaper (dated 1995). The ‘Quad’ lantern and principal slides were clearly stored carefully: although a little dusty in places, most of the main slide collection is in good condition, with little damage to the slides and signs of damp only visible principally in one set, although handling does highlight the weak joints of the mahogany slide mounts, unsurprising after the passing of 125-130 years since David Noakes assembled his main slide collection. The secondary slide collection, generally dating from the 1890s to the outbreak of The Great War, with a few post-dating it, has been more heavily used and probably stored in a damp attic, as there is evidence of shedding binding tapes, sooty dust, glass damage, mildew and damp damage across this part of the collection.

Why only one? The most obvious question about the Noakes Quad is: if it genuinely was the only four-lens lantern ever made (there still seems to be no evidence of another), why?! D.W. Noakes was a successful commercial lantern builder with a reputation for quality and a penchant for publicity – did nobody else want their own ‘extra special’ lantern?

Perhaps Noakes wanted to keep such a special design to himself. As a lanternist he was not shy of big spectacular occasions and a big spectacular lantern might have fitted into that sensibility. But there was little contemporary celebration of the Quad – for example the 1897 interview does not mention it, when surely it would have been worth a line or two as the highpoint of Noakes’s achievements. But if it was made in or after 1897, Noakes was no longer a commercial lantern maker, and there would have been no need to advertise widely a personal project for its maker’s own use.

Perhaps the Quad had ‘arrived too late to the party’. If its construction was ‘in or after’ 1897, the Quad would have been built at a time when all the investment money and most of the technical effort in the optical area was going into improving cinematographs, and few if any big spectacular lanterns were being developed. Without intending to restart the ‘death of the lantern’ fallacies that used to hover around the equally problematic ‘birth of the cinema’, in the years around the turn of the 20th century elaborate dissolving-view entertainments, which would have been the Quad’s main raison d’être, were no longer an expanding market.

Perhaps it was also a question of ease of use, or lack of it, compared to whatever advantage four lenses would give. Cursory examination of Noakes’s lecture slides does not find many obvious four-stage dissolve sequences (The Lodge is one exception) – probably because the slides pre-dated the Quad lantern and were originally used with a triunial. There must have been some sequences that would benefit from the extra lens (or else why build it?), but it would add another level of difficulty to an already tricky process.

Relatively few lanternists – generally only those with well-established skills and experience, not to mention finances – operated even a triunial. It must have been a challenge to juggle four images, almost certainly requiring two operators collaborating very closely. Without such a team (for example, a father and son) perhaps the added complexity would have just seemed too much trouble to consider.

[Adapted by permission from an article in The Magic Lantern, the quarterly journal of the Magic Lantern Society, issue 30 (2022)]


Presentation of the ‘Noakes Quad’ Magic Lantern and Associated Slides

The ‘Noakes Quad’ will be offered with the principal collection of approximately 1,500 mahogany-mounted 3¼in sq and other Magic Lantern Slides directly related to David Noakes, with associated artefacts and ephemera, as Lot 41.

The secondary collection of approximately 5,000 3¼in sq Magic Lantern Slides, which appears to be from diverse sources - although some slides appear to mirror the titles and contents of the principal collection with some titles possibly in David Noakes’ hand - will be offered separately as Lot 42 to Lot 78.



Photographica Condition Classes

For the guidance of buyers, condition statements have been given in this catalogue, with further descriptive comments added where appropriate; extra images for certain lots, usually the higher value ones, are available in the online catalogue on our website. The condition codes relate primarily to the camera body: specific defects may still not be noted - especially to parts such as light meters, rangefinders, and the electronics on more modern cameras. Electrical items should be treated as non-functional and for decorative purposes, unless otherwise stated. Prospective buyers should always satisfy themselves as to the detailed condition of a lot and are referred to our 'conditions of sale' within the Terms & Conditions page of our website. Our specialists are pleased to answer specific questions and can provide additional condition reports and images via on request.


Lots marked (a lot), (qty) or (AF) are sold as found, these can be large lots of varied condition or quality, and should be carefully inspected prior to the auction.


Cosmetic Condition

E              Excellent - As new ex-factory condition camera, apparently unused, and lens body, where fitted.

VG          Very Good - Minimal marks or wear to camera body, and lens body where fitted.

G             Good - Light marks, wear or spotting to camera body, slight brassing to some  edges possible, and to lens body where fitted.

F              Fair - Normal use and wear to camera, some brassing or abrasion likely, and to lens  body, where fitted.

P             Poor - Heavy use and wear to the camera, some damage, or missing parts likely,  and to lens body, where fitted.

AF           As Found - Untested.



Shutter function is indicated as working, not working, inaccurate, not functioning accurately at slower speeds or not tested in the case of cameras with electronic shutters that require batteries; as shutters are often fragile, continued function throughout the auction process cannot be guaranteed and prospective buyers should satisfy themselves of their function, either in person or via our condition reports.



E              Excellent - As new ex-factory condition, apparently unused and pristine.

VG          Very Good - Minimal marking or wear, some external dust specks possible.

G             Good - Light marks, wear, or spotting (slight hazing/fungus possible), possible cleaning marks or slight imperfections to lens coatings.

F              Fair - Use and wear, some cloudiness to exterior and internal elements, haze, fungus, spotting likely.

P             Poor - Heavy use and wear, including cloudiness, damage, damp damage, glue discolouration, heavy fungal growth/haze, or element separation.

AF           As Found - Untested.


Where lenses are lotted individually or in small groups, the cosmetic condition of the lens bodies and lens elements are described separately; in some cases, lenses on cameras are given a separate grading if their condition differs significantly from the body.

We use cookies to give you the best experience of using this website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy for more information.